Are You Stuck?
If you live long enough you will inevitably fall into moments where you feel like you’re in a rut. Stuck in the mud. Even bored or more accurately, unmotivated. Well, what if I were to tell you that you have more than 10,000 opportunities to make a change and re-gain that spark that is uniquely you? Well, you do. Every week you get another 10,000-plus chances to get out of a rut.
There are 7 days in a week comprised of 168 hours which yields a total of 10,080 minutes every week. Each minute of every day, of every week, of every month and every year, you have an opportunity to make a choice that might just change your life. These minutes are always available and as long as the sun keeps rising in the east and setting in the west, you have an endless supply of opportunities.
So here are some ideas as to some of the choices available to you at any time. As you will see, all of these can lead to other choices which when taken, can lead to other choices and so on. There are thousands of moments every week. The exciting part about life is we never know for sure which minor choice might eventually result in changing our life.
- Take a walk
- Swing on a swing on a playground
- Go to a dog park (even if you don’t have a dog)
- Call a friend (rather than poking them on Facebook)
- Quit smoking
- Take up finger painting (you never know, it could lead to a new career)
- Teach finger painting (See? Now you have a new career)
- Change an attitude
- Be on time
- Listen to an album you haven’t heard in ages
- Feed a baby
- Have a baby feed you (That’s it, get creative)
- Make an apology
- Forgive someone
- Forgive yourself
- Soak your feet in a swimming pool
- Give thought to ways you can be a better you
- Become a Mets fan (or not)
- Decide to change a weakness into a strength
- Listen to your partner without offering advice or “fixing it”
- Say “please” “thank you” and “you’re welcome”
- Turn off the TV, phone and computer for one night
- Pay attention
- Express gratitude
- Make a donation to a meaningful cause
- Commit to understanding rather than being right
- Curtail judgement
- Call a store employee by name (you’ll get better service if you do)
- Believe tomorrow will be even better than today
- Face a fear
- Stand up for what you believe
- Look in the mirror, tell yourself that you like you (do this enough and you might just believe it)
- Tell or listen to a good joke
- Watch Seinfeld re-runs
This is not an exhaustive list by any means. It is just a start to all that is possible at any moment, any minute. Please add to the list in the comment section below. You never know, your idea might just be life changing for someone. And, if you contributed to some anonymous stranger in that way, that be an accomplishment that resulted from a choice you made in just one of the 10,080 minutes in your week?